Monday, September 9, 2019

FAQ: "My gum bleeds when I brush my teeth, is it serious?"

FAQ: "My gum bleeds when I brush my teeth, is it serious?"

I'm often asked this question: "Why does my gum sometimes bleed while I brush (or floss)?"  

Answer:  It is not as simple as you brushed too hard and caused it to bleed (which could happen but rarely is the reason). Usually, your gum bleeds when it is inflamed. The appearance of gum could be red (vs. pink is healthy) to purple and puffiness (round, bulging out).  That is caused by bacteria. The conditions is often referred to as "gingivitis" (inflammation of the gum tissue).  If you started flossing daily between the teeth with the right technique, this may improve (our dental assistant is awesome with a flossing demo to help you get all the tough spots). But you'd want this bleeding problem diagnosed by your dentist to see what is the best course of action. 

There can be more problems beyond gingivitis --a true gum disease ("periodontitis") accompanied by bone lost, or dental trauma, so it is better to seek help from your dentist (feel free to contact us if you don't have one yet) as soon as you notice any gum bleeding happening.  Periodontitis is always better off treated at an earlier stage (there are different therapy options for different stages, ask me during your dental visit);   99% of patients I encounter (and manage) don't need surgical intervention, (I have several tricks in the bag to help you avoid surgery), but you should know that severe periodontitis usually require surgery (think diagnosed late or discovered earlier on but not actively treated for years).  


(updated 9-9-2019) 

all rights reserved, Dr Cindy Ko, DDS, Dr Ko's family dentistry, serving north San Diego (UTC/ UCSD, Carmel Valley, Pacific Highlands Ranch, Torrey Highland, Torrey Hills, Sorrento Valley, Mira Mesa and surrounding areas) 

this post is dedicated to one of my most respected, kind-hearted colleague, it is her birthday today :-)  Happy Birthday, Ms T! 

No comments:

Post a Comment